Most of the time, people are treated safely and successfully in the healthcare environment. However, it is important that lessons are learned when things do go wrong.
Some professionals in the Healthcare Industry may already be familiar with aspects of the Sologic root cause analysis (RCA) problem solving method. After all, investigation of the causes of incidents is an activity that all healthcare providers must do. As a result, companies, trusts, government and regulators are strongly encouraging the sector to employ effective RCA methods as a way to substantially improve quality, patient safety and efficiency. Our team understands the sector, and our training courses, methods and software are tailored to meet their specific needs.
So, what exactly is a truly effective RCA and what does it deliver in healthcare? At its core, RCA is a process for identifying the causes of problems or events in order to prevent them from recurring. It is based on the idea that effective management requires more than putting out fires for problems that develop but finding a way to prevent them. RCA can also be employed as a means of identifying best practice, supporting continual improvement and rewarding evidence-based decision making.
The methodology provides healthcare professionals with:
- Insight into underlying causes of sentinel events in patient care
- Creating a Just Culture
- Solutions with immediate and lasting impact on safety, quality and efficiency
- A unified method to overcome increasing complexity across systems
- Compliance with the expectations and guidelines of regulators and regions
- Reducing complaints and building a better reputation in eyes of stakeholders
- Opportunities to improve culture and reduce blame
- Automated reports for improved speed, transparency and compliance