Professionals in public utilities management organizations, including electrical, water, or waste treatment, may already be familiar with root cause analysis as a collaborative problem-solving method.
As seen with incidents such as the Flint Michigan (USA) Water crisis, when things go wrong, the impact on the public can be immense and the scrutiny severe. Sologic is an established provider of root cause analysis to this, and related environmental industries to assure smooth and steady operations. For many years our training courses, methods and software have been tailored to the specific needs of this unique sector.
So, what exactly is an effective RCA and what does it deliver to the utilities and environmental management industry? At its core, RCA is a process for identifying the causes of problems or events in order to prevent them from recurring. It is based on the idea that effective management requires more than putting out fires for problems that develop but finding a way to prevent them. RCA can also be employed as a means of identifying best practice, supporting continual improvement and rewarding evidence-based decision making.
The methodology assists utilities professionals with:
- Identifying underlying causes of significant problems or successes
- Delivering solutions with immediate and lasting impact
- Opportunities to overcome increased complexity in systems
- Compliance with the growing expectations and guidelines of regulators
- Reducing complaints and building a better reputation and experience for customers
- Opportunities to improve failing systems and build resilience
- Automated reports for improved transparency and compliance